18 students and one staff member self-isolating after COVID-19 positive test at Uni of Herts
- Credit: Archant
Eighteen students and one staff member at the University of Herts have tested positive for COVID-19, the WHT can reveal.
All are active cases according to the Hatfield-based institution, who said those affected are self-isolating and being supported by the university.
Dr Mairi Watson, pro-vice chancellor for education and student experience, has already told the WHT that they have not ruled out trapping a mass of students – as has been done in other areas of the UK – and revealed its outbreak plan is changing in light of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
But although there are over 20,000 students at the uni, many are having lessons online and few in-person classes, so the risk of transmission remains low.
There are 92 cases in Welwyn Hatfield per 100,000 people in the last week (October 17) but Hatfield North and West, where the uni is located, had a rate of just 62.9 per 100,000.
You may also want to watch:
While Welham Green, Welwyn and Hatfield Garden Village, Potters Bar Furzefield, Parkfield, Northaw and Cuffley and Hatfield East all had rates exceeding 100, all Welwyn Garden City areas have rates less than 100 per 100,000.
The government’s rates for smaller areas are expressed per 100,000 population and are calculated by dividing the seven day count by the area population and multiplying by 100,000.
- 1 Nearly 30 Insulate Britain protestors arrested this morning
- 2 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 6 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 7 Grant Shapps denounces Insulate Britain protesters as 'dangerous and counterproductive'
- 8 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 9 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 10 Hertsmere: 6,000 home development included in Local Plan
Today, the East of England had 260 COVID-19 patients in hospital, 21 on ventilation, and 8 deaths.