University of Hertfordshire best British team at Silverstone motorsport championship
STUDENTS from the University of Hertfordshire have gone one better than Tewin race ace Lewis Hamilton – with a podium finish at Silverstone.
The Hatfield-based uni has beat the likes of USA and Australia to finish third at the 2011 Formula Student race – the world’s largest student motorsport competition, held at Silverstone.
Formula Student, run by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, challenges universities from across the world to design and build an F1-style racing car in one year before racing them at Silverstone. The cars are judged on speed, acceleration, handling and endurance, while the teams are tested on their design, costing and business presentation skills.
The uni’s third place finish made them the best British team in the competition, and was one better than McClaren’s Lewis Hamilton, who finished fourth on the same circuit at the British Grand Prix two weeks ago.
Clare Cletheroe, Team Leader of the University of Hertfordshire racing team, said: “It was a major surprise to come third.
“We did really well on the final day thanks to a massive team effort. I wouldn’t like to add up all the hours we’ve put in to get this result – a lot of late, late nights and early mornings.”
The University of Stuttgart won the competition for the third time, making them the joint-most successful team in Formula Student’s 14 year history.
- 1 Six buses damaged at Potters Bar Bus Garage after 'significant' blaze
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Nottingham man wanted in connection with Welwyn Garden City offences
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Man 'broke in and tried to steal car' in Potters Bar
- 7 Noel Tovey named as managing director at Sky Studios Elstree and first production announced as Wicked
- 8 League Two sides heading to Potters Bar Town for pre-season
- 9 Man suffers leg injuries after stabbing at Queensway in Hatfield
- 10 Hertfordshire's Wilkestock festival to return after licensing row resolved
TU Munich, last year’s winners, came second.