University of Hertfordshire announces honorary degrees list
A FORMER MP, a Holocaust survivor and a retail guru for supermarket giant Tesco are among those set to receive honorary awards from the University of Hertfordshire.
The Hatfield-based uni will be staging its annual awards ceremonies at St Albans Abbey next week – with more than 4,300 new graduates set to celebrate their academic success with proud parents and friends.
They will be joined by 16 pillars of the community chosen by the university to be given honorary degrees and fellowships for “outstanding contribution to academic disciplines, charity, professions or public service”.
This year’s list includes Barbara Follett, who lives in Old Knebworth and who stood down as Stevenage MP before this year’s General Election, Kitty Hart-Moxon, now a Harpenden resident but sent to the Auschwitz concentration camp as a teenager during World War Two, and Terry Green, who heads up Tesco’s clothing and homes departments.
Michelle Mone, who founded the Ultimo lingerie brand and is considered one of the UK’s most respected businesswomen, is also among those being recognised.
You may also want to watch:
Philip Waters, the university’s secretary and registrar who will lead the academic procession at the cathedral, said: “These ceremonies are the ultimate recognition that the university can award its students following their hard work.
“For the university, this is always a special time of year as people travel to St Albans from all over the world to take part in this celebration of academic success.”
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 3 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 4 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 5 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 6 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 7 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 8 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 9 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 10 Plans for 'largest film studio in the UK' revealed for Hertfordshire
The ceremonies start on Tuesday and will conclude next Friday.
Awards will be presented by Lord Salisbury, who is chancellor of the university, alongside pro-chancellor Jo Connell and vice-chancellor professor Tim Wilson.
* For a full list of the 16 receiving honorary awards, click on the link above right.