Secretary of State for Education visits Potters Bar school
- Credit: supplied by Dame Alice Owen's School
The Secretary of State for Education, Damian Hinds, visited a Potters Bar school for discussions with teachers and pupils.
Mr Hinds visited Dame Alice Owen’s school on April 27 and received Spanish lessons as well as listening to pupils giving a music performance.
Headteacher Mrs Hannah Nemko said: “Mr Hinds spent the afternoon in the company of our students improving his Spanish, discussing the ways in which the curriculum needs to keep up with changes in technology, plans for university tuition fees and the role of education in improving social welfare.”
After listening to a performance by the school’s Senior Strings ensemble he admitted that he regretted giving up the trumpet before he became really good at playing it.
At the end of the school day Mr Hinds spoke to staff about how the demands of teaching have changed over time.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hinds is MP for East Hampshire, and was appointed Secretary of State in January this year.
He told the school that he thoroughly enjoyed his visit and promised to write to the students he spoke to in order to address further some of the issues they raised.
- 1 Tenant's despair over bill for council tax on mouldy flat
- 2 Audi and jewellery worth £70K stolen in Hatfield burglary
- 3 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 4 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 5 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 6 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 7 Filming taking place at The Galleria shopping centre in Hatfield
- 8 Rumoured Halifax closure would leave Hatfield with no banks
- 9 Ex-England star returns to former school for launch of environmental football campaign
- 10 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas