School closures in Hertfordshire due to snow: Monday, January 21
- Credit: Archant
SCHOOLS across Hertfordshire are already deciding to shut tomorrow (Monday) because of the snow and hazardous conditions.
A number of schools in Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield, Brookmans Park and Potters Bar opted to close early on Friday afternoon due to adverse weather conditions.
And with heavy snow continuing to fall yesterday (Sunday), schools in Potters Bar, Cheshunt, Letchworth, Stevenage, Hemel Hempstead, Hitchin, Ware, Hertford, Watford, London Colney, WGC and Radlett have already confirmed they won’t be open today (Monday, January 21). Some will remain open solely for students sitting exams.
Howe Dell Primary in Hatfield intends to stay open though. The school will open at 8.45am via side gate only, with access from 9.15am via main entrance. However, there will be no breakfast club. Check the school’s website for full details.
De Havilland Primary in Hatfield will open at 9.30am.
You may also want to watch:
Also opening is Springmead Primary in Welwyn Garden City.
Kimpton Primary will be opening at 10am to allow staff time to get in safely.
- 1 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 2 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 3 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Support for Bukayo Saka continues as youth football team delivers shirt to England's Euro 2020 star
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 8 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 9 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
Green Lanes Primary in Hatfield intends to open its doors at 9am.
Oak View in Hatfield plans to open from 9.30am but the Nursery will be closed.
Onslow St Audrey’s Secondary School in Hatfield will be opening late for registration at 9.45am. This will allow extra time for staff and students to travel.
Among the schools closed on Monday are:
* St Philip Howard Catholic Primary School in Hatfield will be closed.
* Sir Frederic Osborn Secondary School in Welwyn Garden City will be closed on Monday due to heavy snow which has made the site unsafe and travel to school treacherous for students and staff. However, examinations will run as scheduled and all students sitting exams should enter school through reception.
* Bishop’s Hatfield Girls’ School in Woods Avenue, Hatfield, will be closed due to “adverse weather conditions making it difficult for staff and pupils to get to school safely”. Public exams will continue as normal for sixth formers able to attend.
* St Michael’s Woolmer Green C of E Primary will remain closed on Monday due to continued bad weather.
* Both KS3 and KS4 Centres will be closed at Park Education Support Centre in Potters Bar.
* St John’s Primary in Welwyn is closed on Monday due to the snow.
* St Mary’s C of E Primary in Welham Green will be closed on January 21.
* Commonswood Primary in Welwyn Garden City is closed. A statement said: “Owing to the treacherous conditions and an unsafe site Commonswood will be closed on Monday, 21 January. The situation for Tuesday will be assessed on Monday and parents informed in the usual way.”
* Our Lady Catholic Primary in Welwyn Garden City will be close due to “unsafe site conditions and staff difficulties travelling to school”.
* Welwyn Garden City secondary school Monk’s Walk will be shut on Monday. The school said: “We are closed except for national exams. If you are unable to attend for your exam tomorrow you will be able to sit in the summer.”
* Mount Grace in Potters Bar will be closed, but open for students with exams. The secondary school said: “Due to the severe weather and lack of available staff the school will be closed on Monday, January 21.” The school hopes to be open on Tuesday.
* Stanborough School in Welwyn Garden City will be closed on Monday. But A-level exams will continue as normal.
* Dame Alice Owen’s School in Potters Bar has announced it will be closed on Monday.
* Due to the poor weather conditions Peartree Primary in Welwyn Garden City will be closed.
* Knightsfield in Welwyn Garden City will be closed on Monday.
* Creswick Primary and Nursery School in WGC will be closed due to snow.
* Southfield at New Barnfield, Hatfield, will be closed “due to poor conditions on site”.
* Tenterfield Nursery School in Welwyn will be closed for breakfast club and morning nursery to allow safe travel in and clearing of school site. A statement said: “If there is no further snow, afternoon nursery and tea club will be on as normal.”
* Swallow Dell Primary in WGC will be closed “due to unsafe site conditions and difficulties for staff travelling”.
* Tewin Cowper C of E Primary in Tewin will be closed due to the severe weather.
* Watchlytes in Welwyn Garden City is another school not opening. A statement said: “As we cannot guarantee the arrival of a large number of teaching staff we are regretfully closed tomorrow. Hope to open Tuesday.”
* Holwell Primary in Welwyn Garden City will be closed on Monday. The school said: “Due to low temperatures, snow and poor local road conditions, the school will be closed Monday.”
* Ludwick Nursery School in Welwyn Garden City will be closed on Monday morning. A decision about the afternoon nursery opening will be made later.
* Following an on-site inspection Harwood Hill JMI and Nursery in Welwyn Garden City will be closed.
* Ladbrooke JMI in Potters Bar will be shut on Monday.
* Oaklands Primary in Welwyn will be closed. The school said: “We are closed tomorrow due to continued snow and predicted freezing temperatures making the school site treacherous.”
* Due to dangerous road conditions, Pope Paul Catholic Primary in Potters Bar will be shut on Monday.
* Rowans Primary in Welwyn Garden City will remain closed today (Monday). The school hopes to be open as normal on Tuesday.
* Homerswood Primary & Nursery School in Welwyn Garden City will also be closed. A statement said: “School closed due to heavy snowfall in school site and local roads. Site will be cleared tomorrow to make best efforts to reopen on Tuesday.”
*Cranborne Primary in Potters Bar will be shut. A school statement said: “Anyone able to help prepare the site for Tuesday are most welcome to join staff at 9.45am in the school hall. Please bring shovel, tea and coffee provided.”
* Chancellor’s School, in Brookmans Park, will be closed on Monday, although public exams will go ahead. Parents and students are advised to check the school’s website for further details.
* All Saints Primary in Datchworth is another school closed. A school statement said: “School closed due to adverse weather and untreated roads. Check again Monday evening/Tuesday morning for update.”
* Lakeside in WGC will stay shut. The school said: “In consultation with transport firm we have decided to close on Monday.”
* Pupils at Templewood Primary in Welwyn Garden City will also have a day off. The school said: “Due to the poor weather and travel conditions, school will be closed tomorrow. Hope to be clear for Tuesday.”
* St John’s Church of England Primary, in Lemsford, is another school in Welwyn Hatfield not opening “due to adverse weather conditions”.
* Applecroft Primary in Welwyn Garden City will be closed “due to unsafe site conditions and difficulties with staff getting into school”. The school will try and open on Tuesday.
* Brookmans Park Primary will be shut on Monday.
* Northaw C of E Primary School, near Potters Bar, will be closed on Monday due to treacherous paths and roads. The school hopes to be open again on Tuesday.
* Ponsbourne St Mary’s in Newgate Street Village will not be open.
* St Giles’ C of E Primary in South Mymms will be shut “due to heavy snow”. The school said: “We apologise for any inconvenience caused, we hope to open as usual on Tuesday, January 22.”
* Due to the continued snowfall and freezing temperatures, pupils going to Goffs in Cheshunt will also have a day off. However, the school will be open for students with public exams.
* Harwood Hill JMI and Nursery in Welwyn Garden City also says it will shut after a site inspection.
* Nicholas Breakspear, in Colney Heath Lane, is also closed today (Monday) for students. The school said: “Open for staff at 9am if safe to travel to help clear site or prepare for week due to continuing snow and ice. External exams will go ahead, Year 11 to revise for science exams on Tuesday.”
Keep checking back for further updates.
* For the latest Hertfordshire school closures due to snow, use the related link above right.