Welwyn Hatfield pupil wins national cooking competition
- Credit: Dupree Creative
A young chef from a Welwyn Hatfield has won a chef’s scholarship in a national competition.
Ruby Dyer, who goes to Chancellor’s School, was selected for the final of the 2019 Teflon™ Diamond Standard Awards in a cook-off last year.
READ MORE: Welwyn Hatfield pupils hope to cook up a storm in national competitionAt the competition’s final in January, held in London at the Waitrose Cookery School, the young chefs aged between 12 and 16 were put through their paces in front of judges including celebrity chef Lesley Waters and The Pig Group’s James Golding.
Ruby impressed with her signature dish, a poached haddock timbale topped with a quail’s egg.
The dish has done Ruby proud, as in 2017 it won Best Starter at the Oaklands College Young Chef of the Year award.
READ MORE: Young Potters Bar and Brookmans Park chefs triumph in St Albans contestNow she has won a prestigious three-year Specialised Chefs Scholarship at Bournemouth & Poole College.
The scholarship is divided into two categories: work-based training with a chef member of the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts, as well as full time tuition at the college.
You may also want to watch:
She also takes home a cash prize of £200 and £100 worth of Teflon™ cookware.
For more information about the awards, visit www.teflondsa.co.uk
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 5 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 9 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 10 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes