Roald Dahl celebration day at Welwyn Garden City school
- Credit: Archant
A Welwyn Garden City primary school celebrated the 100th birthday of children’s favourite Roald Dahl by holding a specially dedicated day.
Matilda, The BFG and James, presumably with a giant peach, all flocked to Applecroft School last week to celebrate the illustrious author’s big day.
Headteacher Lisa Withe said pupils and staff dressed up as classic characters to mark Roald Dahl’s “rich legacy of children’s literature”, as part of an initiative to promote reading in youngsters.
She said: “Throughout the day the children took part in a range of Roald Dahl inspired activities, and a particular highlight was the Roald Dahl inspired lunch prepared by our wonderful cook Debbie Snook and her team from Hertfordshire Catering Limited (HCL).
“The children enjoyed Boggis’ chicken pie, Mrs Twits’ wormy spaghetti, Bruce Bogtrotter’s chocolate cake and a refreshing glass of Frobscottle!
You may also want to watch:
“As well as enjoying the day, the school raised money for the Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity, which Applecroft will be supporting throughout the year.”
- 1 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 2 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 3 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 4 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 8 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 9 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 10 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022