High hopes for Welwyn Garden City’s new Ridgeway Academy
- Credit: Archant
It was goodbye to Sir Frederic Osborn School and hello to Ridgeway Academy at the start of this term in Welwyn Garden City.
Ridgeway Academy has opened its doors to its first pupils after ending its days as Sir Frederic Osborn School at the end of last term.
The new academy, based in Panshanger, is overseen by the Alban Academies Trust, and the new Year 7 classes were welcomed this week.
Headteacher, Jed Whelan said: “The opening of the new academy has been a very exciting time for us.
“We have welcomed our Year 7 pupils, new teaching staff, an incredibly talented and experienced management team, new facilities and an impressive range of new technology to enhance teaching and learning across the school.
You may also want to watch:
“During the course of the summer, an extensive programme of renovation and improvements were carried out, as well as new resources made available to the pupils.
“We are going to be applying very high standards and expectations, rigorous attention to detail and a personalised learning environment for every pupil so that each and everyone of them can achieve more than he or she ever dreamt possible.”
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 3 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 4 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Knife reportedly used to rob man in his 20s outside Co-op ATM
- 7 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 8 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 9 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 10 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
Mr Whelan added: “We are very much looking forward to helping to transform the educational experience for the young people in our care and I know that I speak for all of my colleagues and those in the Alban Academies Trust when I say that this is going to be a very exciting journey.
“Our aim is to be a school where ‘everybody can achieve’ and that they feel valued, confident and happy.”
The official opening of the academy will take place on Wednesday, October 10.