Polish Saturday school opens in Welwyn Garden City
- Credit: Archant
Children of Polish immigrants will be able to learn about their heritage and history after a new school opened in Welwyn Garden City yesterday (Saturday).
The Jeremi Przybora Polish Saturday School, opened on Saturday at Holwell Primary School and will run for three hours every week from 9.15am.
The school has been founded by Aneta Wujek, Monika Scott, Iwona Pniewska, Aleksandra Spasowka and Anna Zielinska who all live in the area and have children at Hatfield schools.
They will also act us trustees and volunteer at the school.
“For me it is very important,” said Monika Scott.
You may also want to watch:
“It is easy for children to lose their history when they move to a new country.”
So far more than 75 pupils have signed up to attend which the trustees “cannot believe”.
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 3 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 4 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 5 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 6 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 7 Local Plan: Inspector has concerns over why Green Belt sites were removed
- 8 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 9 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 10 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
“We thought maybe on 30 would join, to get 75 is incredible,” said Iwona Pniewska.
As well as teaching children about the Polish culture, there will also be lessons for parents who want to improve their English at the same time.
Michal Siewniak, of the Hatfield Polish Forum, said: “The aim of the Polish Saturday School is not only to teach the Polish language, but also to bring the Polish and local residents together.”
For more information, or to attend on the day, email: firstname.lastname@example.org