Playday 2014 to be ‘the biggest and best yet’ in Welwyn Garden City
- Credit: Archant
There is a boost for kids in Welwyn Hatfield this week as Playday is back.
This year’s event at Stanborough Park in Welwyn Garden City will take place on Wednesday, August 6 and promises to be “the biggest and best yet”.
The event, which marks the national day for play in the UK, is free and will run from 10am until 4pm at the South Lakes section of the park, near to the sailing centre.
Last year more than 5,000 people came along to enjoy the day and this year’s packed schedule of fun and games could see an even higher turnout.
The activities, aimed at children from toddlers to teenagers, will be divided up into zones, as in previous years, though with more choice than ever before.
You may also want to watch:
The Leisure Zone will have a bouncy castle, toy demonstrations, soft play, Go Karts, Mini Golf, tag and boats on display.
Over in the Arts and Crafts Zone there’s face painting, craft activities, kite making and sandpit excavation. The Music and Dance Zone will be filled with the sounds of junk percussion, music workshops and stage performances.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 3 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 4 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 5 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 6 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 9 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart
- 10 Jodie Williams gunning for gold after barrier-breaking personal best at Tokyo 2020 Olympics
The Welwyn Hatfield Times will also have a stand there on the day and will be running a ‘create your own front page’ competition.
We will also be giving away starter packs from Topps Transformers, Star Wars and Disney Princess. Our promotions team will also be selling goody bags containing next week’s paper – published on that day.
The Welwyn Hatfield Times will also have a photographer there, so remember to buy the following week’s edition on Wednesday, August 13 for pictures of this year’s event – and perhaps spot your face in the crowd.
Councillor Tony Kingsbury, executive member for policy and culture, said: “We’re encouraging everyone to think green and walk to the event if possible and also to bring a picnic so you can stay all day as there will be only limited food on site.
“We’re really looking forward to it.”
* For more information on activities visit www.welhat.gov.uk/playday