Parents raise money to save school pool in Tewin
- Credit: Archant
A group of parents in Tewin are trying to raise £10,000 to save the school pool.
The outdoor heated pool at Tewin Cowper C of E Primary School, which is managed and maintained by a small group of parent volunteers, is in need of an overhaul.
Pupils have had swimming lessons in the pool for over 50 years, and the local community also use the pool in the summer.
The parents, who hold events to raise funds for the pool each year, are trying to raise the cash for the overhaul so that the pool can still be used after summer 2016.
Currently the pool’s pump house is on the other side of the school from the pool, and the pipes carrying the water to and fro have become corroded and congested with limescale.
You may also want to watch:
The parents want to move the pump house next to the pool, which will mean a new shed, pumps, filter, heater, piping, inlets and electricity. The work is estimated to come to £24,000 in total.
Parent volunteer Dagmar de Botton, of the Tewin Cowper Swimming Committee, said: “I feel the pool is important to our children as it teaches them a very important life skill.
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 3 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 4 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 6 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 7 Knife reportedly used to rob man in his 20s outside Co-op ATM
- 8 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 9 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
- 10 New car park proposed for park
“Right from reception through to the Year Sixes everyone swims after the summer half term at least twice a week.
“Swimming is also part of the National Curriculum, recent research showed that 50 per cent of British children cannot swim – therefore we are very lucky to have our own pool.
A crowdfunding page has so far raised over £1,000 towards the £10,000 target, with one anonymous person donating £100.
To donate to the pool go to https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/tewinschoolpool