Parents raise money to save school pool in Tewin
- Credit: Archant
A group of parents in Tewin are trying to raise £10,000 to save the school pool.
The outdoor heated pool at Tewin Cowper C of E Primary School, which is managed and maintained by a small group of parent volunteers, is in need of an overhaul.
Pupils have had swimming lessons in the pool for over 50 years, and the local community also use the pool in the summer.
The parents, who hold events to raise funds for the pool each year, are trying to raise the cash for the overhaul so that the pool can still be used after summer 2016.
Currently the pool’s pump house is on the other side of the school from the pool, and the pipes carrying the water to and fro have become corroded and congested with limescale.
The parents want to move the pump house next to the pool, which will mean a new shed, pumps, filter, heater, piping, inlets and electricity. The work is estimated to come to £24,000 in total.
Parent volunteer Dagmar de Botton, of the Tewin Cowper Swimming Committee, said: “I feel the pool is important to our children as it teaches them a very important life skill.
- 1 IN PICTURES: Stars come out for Simply Red concert in Hatfield Park
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Screen on the Green returning to Welwyn Garden City
- 4 'Tesco must tackle blight of trolley-dumping in Potters Bar'
- 5 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 6 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 7 It's A Kind of Magic as Queen Symphonic's Bohemian Rhapsody rocks Hatfield Park
- 8 Champions! Old Owens going up after securing title
- 9 Pictures of Paloma Faith and special guest Sam Ryder at Hatfield Park concert
- 10 Body of a man discovered in woodland near Welham Green
“Right from reception through to the Year Sixes everyone swims after the summer half term at least twice a week.
“Swimming is also part of the National Curriculum, recent research showed that 50 per cent of British children cannot swim – therefore we are very lucky to have our own pool.
A crowdfunding page has so far raised over £1,000 towards the £10,000 target, with one anonymous person donating £100.
To donate to the pool go to https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/tewinschoolpool