Northaw pupils scoop silver certificate at RHS show
- Credit: Archant
Children from the gardening club at Northaw Primary School recently won a silver certificate in the Budding Gardeners’ competition at the RHS Wisley show.
The gardening club entered a mini garden based on the theme of the Famous Five.
The children were encouraged to read some of Enid Blyton’s classic books as they planned the garden with the volunteers, Jacqui King and Carol Voyce, who run the lunchtime club.
As well as the group success in the mini garden competition, Chloe Whitlock was nominated for the Young Gardener of the Year Award.
The gardening club meets at lunchtime throughout the school year and grows a wide range of flowers and vegetables – eating peas straight from the pod is a very popular event in the gardening calendar.
You may also want to watch:
The garden area contains a range of wildlife habitats designed to attract and sustain a wide range of creatures including hedgehogs, slow worms, toads, frogs, butterflies and birds.
Plans are already underway for the autumn term when the children will create a miniature garden on the school site.
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 3 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 4 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 5 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 6 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 7 Local Plan: Inspector has concerns over why Green Belt sites were removed
- 8 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 9 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 10 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
Current ideas for the project include building houses, roads, a bridge a farm and a windmill.
Headteacher Shirley Whales said: “We are thrilled with the recognition gardening club achieved at RHS Wisley.
“It was a fantastic experience for the children and would not have been possible without their hard work and the dedication of our volunteers Jacqui and Carol who give so freely of their time.
“Perhaps we will make it to the RHS Chelsea Flower Show at some time in the future!”