Northaw pupils scoop silver certificate at RHS show
- Credit: Archant
Children from the gardening club at Northaw Primary School recently won a silver certificate in the Budding Gardeners’ competition at the RHS Wisley show.
The gardening club entered a mini garden based on the theme of the Famous Five.
The children were encouraged to read some of Enid Blyton’s classic books as they planned the garden with the volunteers, Jacqui King and Carol Voyce, who run the lunchtime club.
As well as the group success in the mini garden competition, Chloe Whitlock was nominated for the Young Gardener of the Year Award.
The gardening club meets at lunchtime throughout the school year and grows a wide range of flowers and vegetables – eating peas straight from the pod is a very popular event in the gardening calendar.
You may also want to watch:
The garden area contains a range of wildlife habitats designed to attract and sustain a wide range of creatures including hedgehogs, slow worms, toads, frogs, butterflies and birds.
Plans are already underway for the autumn term when the children will create a miniature garden on the school site.
- 1 Body found in search for missing woman as two men charged with murder
- 2 Tributes paid to Arsenal fan who died of COVID-19 'caught at Euros final'
- 3 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 4 New ITV teen drama Tell Me Everything being filmed in Welwyn Garden City
- 5 Campus West car park planning application submitted
- 6 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 7 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Spotting the signs: a personal insight into suicide
- 10 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
Current ideas for the project include building houses, roads, a bridge a farm and a windmill.
Headteacher Shirley Whales said: “We are thrilled with the recognition gardening club achieved at RHS Wisley.
“It was a fantastic experience for the children and would not have been possible without their hard work and the dedication of our volunteers Jacqui and Carol who give so freely of their time.
“Perhaps we will make it to the RHS Chelsea Flower Show at some time in the future!”