Northaw pupils scoop silver certificate at RHS show
- Credit: Archant
Children from the gardening club at Northaw Primary School recently won a silver certificate in the Budding Gardeners’ competition at the RHS Wisley show.
The gardening club entered a mini garden based on the theme of the Famous Five.
The children were encouraged to read some of Enid Blyton’s classic books as they planned the garden with the volunteers, Jacqui King and Carol Voyce, who run the lunchtime club.
As well as the group success in the mini garden competition, Chloe Whitlock was nominated for the Young Gardener of the Year Award.
The gardening club meets at lunchtime throughout the school year and grows a wide range of flowers and vegetables – eating peas straight from the pod is a very popular event in the gardening calendar.
You may also want to watch:
The garden area contains a range of wildlife habitats designed to attract and sustain a wide range of creatures including hedgehogs, slow worms, toads, frogs, butterflies and birds.
Plans are already underway for the autumn term when the children will create a miniature garden on the school site.
- 1 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 2 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 3 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 8 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 9 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 10 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
Current ideas for the project include building houses, roads, a bridge a farm and a windmill.
Headteacher Shirley Whales said: “We are thrilled with the recognition gardening club achieved at RHS Wisley.
“It was a fantastic experience for the children and would not have been possible without their hard work and the dedication of our volunteers Jacqui and Carol who give so freely of their time.
“Perhaps we will make it to the RHS Chelsea Flower Show at some time in the future!”