New special free school to be opened in Welwyn Garden City
- Credit: Archant
A new special education needs school will be opened in Welwyn Garden City.
The Department for Education has announced thousands of new school places will be created across the UK for pupils requiring additional educational support.
Every region in the country will benefit from a new school, with 37 special free schools and two alternative provision free schools to be funded, creating almost 3,500 school places.
With the plan still in its very early stages, the location of the new school in Welwyn Garden City is yet to be determined.
Hertfordshire Country Council cabinet member for education, libraries and localism Terry Douris said: “We are delighted to hear that children with special educational needs will be benefiting from this new free school planned for Welwyn Garden City.
You may also want to watch:
“This will increase the preferences for parents while providing much-needed specialist support and education for pupils with complex needs such as autism, severe learning difficulties or mental health conditions.”
The planning application for the new school will be determined by Hertfordshire County Council, working in consultation with Welwyn Hatfield Council, to take these proposals forward and gain the necessary approvals.
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 People with these surnames in Herts could be sitting on unclaimed estate fortunes
- 3 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 4 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 5 Teenager charged after 'Rambo knife' and suspected class A drugs found
- 6 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 7 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 8 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 9 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 10 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station