New Ridgeway Academy head sets aim on driving up results
- Credit: Supplied
Sarah Mitcherson, who will take over as headteacher at Ridgeway Academy in September, is targeting driving up exam results and providing a modern curriculum.
Mrs Mitcherson said: "I want to focus on developing skills for young people that will suit the 21st century and help with lifelong employment.
"Also to continue to strive to raise outcomes at GCSE level, in terms of GCSE maths and English combined, particularly at grade 5+ level, so that more young people have got the key to get through the door to the next stage of their education.
"This will be a focus of our development plan."
Mrs Mitcherson is currently the vice principal at Stockwood Academy in Luton, and has 10 years experience in school leadership roles.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Mitcherson said: "I'm looking forward to being headteacher in September and to work alongside the pupils and very talented staff to build on the progress that has been made with Ridgeway academy under Jed Whelan's leadership. I'm keen to ensure that the curriculum here is challenging and builds on the excellent work that the primary schools are doing."
The academy is currently in its first year, having opened last September, after Sir Frederic Osborn School closed.
- 1 Tenant's despair over bill for council tax on mouldy flat
- 2 Audi and jewellery worth £70K stolen in Hatfield burglary
- 3 Rumoured Halifax closure would leave Hatfield with no banks
- 4 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 5 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 6 Filming taking place at The Galleria shopping centre in Hatfield
- 7 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 8 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 9 5 films and TV series shot on location at The Galleria shopping centre in Hatfield
- 10 Ex-England star returns to former school for launch of environmental football campaign
Mrs Mitcherson added: "You can see a change in attitude and self-regulation in the pupils, there's a pride here - you can feel it.
"You can see it in the quality of the work the children are producing."
The headteacher to be is very keen for parents to see the school in action. She said: "I would encourage visitors to come in, if you've got children from Year 4 onwards, to come and see us on the open evening on Thursday September 19 between 6pm and 8:30pm.
In the meantime Mrs Mitcherson will be spending her summer split between preparing for the new role and surfing in Cornwall with her family, adding: "I'm very much a work hard play hard person.
"I want young people that equally have that kind of ethos.
"It's a really exciting time to join the school and continue to drive it forward."
For more information on open days visit: ridgeway.herts.sch.uk.