Inspiring new garden for Hatfield nursery school opened by Lady Salisbury
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Lady Salisbury cut the ribbon at the grand opening of a stimulating new Hatfield preschool garden on Monday.
The renovation at Birchwood Nursery took an “uninspiring” space with old facilities and has turned it into a bit of a wonderland for the children.
The large garden, previously covered by a large canopy and a climbing frame over a decade old, now has water features, a mud kitchen, a planting and growing area, and a great big sandpit.
“There’s a lot of things for the children to investigate and experience and give them a real stimulating environment,” said preschool manager Angela Cumming, adding that as an extension of the classroom, it would encourage discovery and risk-taking.
“The kids absolutely love it,” she added. “When we took them out there initially they just looked in amazement.
You may also want to watch:
“Now there’s masses of space for them.”
It wasn’t just a hit with the kids - even Lady Salisbury mucked in and began making sandcastles with the little ones at the grand opening on November 26.
- 1 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 4 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 5 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 6 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 7 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
- 8 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 9 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
The project is the result of ongoing fundraising to raise around £35,000.