New flu and stem cell centre opened by Government minister
A NEW �12m influenza and stem cell centre in South Mimms was opened by a Government minister.
Public health minister Anne Milton officially opened the Health Protection Agency’s new Influenza Resource Centre and UK Stem Cell Bank, at the agency’s National Institute of Biological Standards and Control (NIBSC), in Blanche Lane on Wednesday.
More than 40 scientists will be based at the new facility and the minister toured the newly-constructed hi-tech labs, which have been operational since December last year.
She met scientists who last year played a crucial role in developing an effective vaccine against pandemic H1N1 swine flu when it first emerged last year.
The scientists – now based in the new building – include one of a handful of teams in the world with the job of responding to pandemics by rapidly developing virus strains that can be used for large scale vaccine manufacture as well as the materials needed to measure vaccine strength.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Stephen Inglis, director of NIBSC, said: “This new building gives us first-class facilities for the research and development needed both to counter a major global threat and also to speed the development of new classes of medicine that have the potential to revolutionise clinical treatment in years to come.”
Mrs Milton said: “This centre will help ensure we retain our position as one of the world leaders in this field.”
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 3 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 4 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 5 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 6 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 9 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart
- 10 Jodie Williams gunning for gold after barrier-breaking personal best at Tokyo 2020 Olympics
The minister added: “It is a key public health facility that will improve our ability to respond rapidly and effectively to future flu outbreaks and will work to enhance our understanding of complex stem cell research.”