Champion BMX rider inspires Welwyn Garden City children
- Credit: Archant
Welwyn Garden City children were thrilled to learn BMX tricks from a former Master World Champion rider.
Mike Mullen, of The BMX Academy, was welcomed to Holwell Primary School in Welwyn Garden City on Wednesday.
His visit was part of an enrichment week focussing on wellbeing and encouraging children to adopt a ‘can do’ attitude.
Mike demonstrated his abilities on a BMX bike during a whole school assembly, where he talked about his attitude to learning and how that had helped him to become a Master World Champion.
He then went on to show the children and staff some of his tricks.
You may also want to watch:
He also used staff as part of a stunt by getting them to lay on the floor while he cycled up a ramp and flew over them.
A school spokesman said: “Years 5 and 6 participated in workshops with Mike riding on the BMX bikes and trying out different tricks, from riding with no hands, to jumps over ramps and also standing on the cross bar.
- 1 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 2 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 5 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 8 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
“The children had a fabulous time and even those children less confident on bikes attempted some of the tricks and achieved far more than they initially thought possible.”
Mike also visited Applecroft Primary School in Welwyn Garden City earlier in the month.