Champion BMX rider inspires Welwyn Garden City children
- Credit: Archant
Welwyn Garden City children were thrilled to learn BMX tricks from a former Master World Champion rider.
Mike Mullen, of The BMX Academy, was welcomed to Holwell Primary School in Welwyn Garden City on Wednesday.
His visit was part of an enrichment week focussing on wellbeing and encouraging children to adopt a ‘can do’ attitude.
Mike demonstrated his abilities on a BMX bike during a whole school assembly, where he talked about his attitude to learning and how that had helped him to become a Master World Champion.
He then went on to show the children and staff some of his tricks.
You may also want to watch:
He also used staff as part of a stunt by getting them to lay on the floor while he cycled up a ramp and flew over them.
A school spokesman said: “Years 5 and 6 participated in workshops with Mike riding on the BMX bikes and trying out different tricks, from riding with no hands, to jumps over ramps and also standing on the cross bar.
- 1 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 2 University of Hertfordshire hit by cyber attack
- 3 'Iconic' new statue of Ebenezer Howard unveiled
- 4 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 5 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 10 Former healthcare worker nominated for role model award due to rare illness awareness campaign
“The children had a fabulous time and even those children less confident on bikes attempted some of the tricks and achieved far more than they initially thought possible.”
Mike also visited Applecroft Primary School in Welwyn Garden City earlier in the month.