Knebworth school campaigners meet Prime Minister David Cameron at Downing Street
LEADING campaigners calling for a new secondary school in Times Territory have discussed their proposals with Prime Minister David Cameron and Education secretary Michael Gove.
The We Need A School campaign, which seeks to get a new secondary school built for families in Knebworth and surrounding villages Woolmer Green, Oaklands, Datchworth and Codicote, was invited to Downing Street this week for formal talks held in the Cabinet Office, followed by a garden reception at Number 10.
Campaign chair Juliet Pomerance and deputy chair Gary Fenton were among other campaigners from around the country to be invited to the event, held in the same week the coalition Government released details of its proposals to help parents and teachers set up new free schools.
So far, more 700 campaign groups have expressed an interest in the plans.
Mrs Pomerance, 40, said: “Out of all the campaigns for new schools across the country we were picked out as one of the most promising proposals. This is a huge sign of Government support and of how far we’ve come to achieving parents’ ambitions from the villages we represent. After talks at Government level it looks likely we can achieve this without building any new homes.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Fenton, 37, added “This has been an amazing week. We got here thanks to everyone’s support and we’ve reached the ear of the Prime Minister!”
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 From 'the worst zoo in the UK' to popular attraction: Looking back on Paradise Wildlife Park's 37 years
- 5 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 6 Plans for 'largest film studio in the UK' revealed for Hertfordshire
- 7 Rogue landlord hit with record £90,000 fine for safety failings
- 8 JD Wetherspoons lists building in town centre for sale
- 9 CCTV appeal after safe containing cash and watches stolen
- 10 Eight vehicles seized after police operation to crack down on crime