Joyful celebration of new Hatfield school building
- Credit: Archant
Staff, parents and pupils across the generations united to celebrate a Hatfield’s secondary school’s new building.
Bishop’s Hatfield Girls’ School held an open day , complete with live music and a fireworks display, of its new main building in Woods Avenue, completed over a four-year project as part of a special government programme.
Headteacher Theodora Nickson said: “Happy faces were everywhere - so many people who have supported us through this journey over the last four years were finally able to see what it was all about. I lost count of the number of ‘Wows’ as people moved around the light and airy surroundings.
“Everyone had their favourite spot - the sports hall, the dance studio and the library were among the top favourites.
“We consider ourselves very fortunate to have such a wonderful learning environment for our pupils.
You may also want to watch:
“All young people deserve to be educated in surroundings conducive to learning, and I urge the Government to find the funds to make all school buildings fit for all our children who will shape the future.”
School spokeswoman Fautrero-Sayer added: “We were particularly delighted to welcome back former pupils, some of whom attended the opening of the original building in 1960, and also staff who taught in our school throughout the last 47 years.”
- 1 Gallery: Snow gives Welwyn Hatfield residents much-needed fun in lockdown
- 2 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 3 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 4 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 5 Welwyn Garden City's Sam Caiger returns for West Ham ready to put injury woes behind him
- 6 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 9 Man in hospital after being trapped in car following A1(M) crash
- 10 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children