Hotel scholarship for student
A STUDENT has been awarded a �3,000 scholarship at the UK’s first hotel school – based entirely in a fully operational commercial hotel.
Tori Cox is among the first group of students who started their courses this week at the Edge Hotel School at the University of Essex’s Colchester Campus.
The Codicote resident will be working towards a fast-track BA Honours degree in hotel management over two years, combining academic study with practical experience working in a hotel – the newly refurbished Wivenhoe House.
Tori, 18, was working in a pub and restaurant when she was given her scholarship from the Savoy Educational Trust.
She said: “I still cannot believe I am here. It will be really good when the Edge Hotel School is famous and I will be able to say I was a part of it.
“I came to the Edge Hotel School because I liked the idea of how it combined theory and practical work – instead of just revolving around the classroom. That is great for me as that is how I like to learn.”
Savoy Educational Trust scholarships are designed to support talented students and help encourage “the outstanding hospitality managers of the future”.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Uni of Herts student loses arm on Turkish holiday
- 3 Campaigners close in on fundraising target ahead BioPark appeal
- 4 Multi-vehicle crash on M25 near Potters Bar
- 5 Head injury follows taxi assault in Potters Bar
- 6 IN PICTURES: The return of Kimpton Folk Festival
- 7 Potters Bar RSPCA looking for new homes for farm animals
- 8 Children take to the stage for Potters Bar talent show
- 9 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 10 Hatfield tenant upset over housing issue that has yet to be rectified after a year
A further six scholarships will be awarded in the coming year, three for each of the next two intakes, in July and September.
Tori said: “It is really helpful to receive this scholarship.
“Hopefully doing this course will help me go on to become a knowledgeable hotel manager. I would love to one day manage a famous hotel and I also want to travel and work in the hospitality industry – perhaps in America.”
Edge Hotel School students achieve a degree awarded by the University of Essex while working at the historic Wivenhoe House.
Students have the option of earning a one-year foundation degree or a BA Honours degree in two years. The curriculum has been developed in collaboration with some of the sector’s leading employers and well-known industry figures including Michelin star chefs and 4 and 5 star hoteliers.
Applications for a scholarship can be found at www.edgehotelschool.ac.uk or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or 01206 872858.