Hotel scholarship for student
A STUDENT has been awarded a �3,000 scholarship at the UK’s first hotel school – based entirely in a fully operational commercial hotel.
Tori Cox is among the first group of students who started their courses this week at the Edge Hotel School at the University of Essex’s Colchester Campus.
The Codicote resident will be working towards a fast-track BA Honours degree in hotel management over two years, combining academic study with practical experience working in a hotel – the newly refurbished Wivenhoe House.
Tori, 18, was working in a pub and restaurant when she was given her scholarship from the Savoy Educational Trust.
She said: “I still cannot believe I am here. It will be really good when the Edge Hotel School is famous and I will be able to say I was a part of it.
You may also want to watch:
“I came to the Edge Hotel School because I liked the idea of how it combined theory and practical work – instead of just revolving around the classroom. That is great for me as that is how I like to learn.”
Savoy Educational Trust scholarships are designed to support talented students and help encourage “the outstanding hospitality managers of the future”.
- 1 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 2 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 Welwyn Garden City school raises nearly £1,000 for Isabel Hospice with annual 'Charity Day'
- 6 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 7 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 8 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 9 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
- 10 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
A further six scholarships will be awarded in the coming year, three for each of the next two intakes, in July and September.
Tori said: “It is really helpful to receive this scholarship.
“Hopefully doing this course will help me go on to become a knowledgeable hotel manager. I would love to one day manage a famous hotel and I also want to travel and work in the hospitality industry – perhaps in America.”
Edge Hotel School students achieve a degree awarded by the University of Essex while working at the historic Wivenhoe House.
Students have the option of earning a one-year foundation degree or a BA Honours degree in two years. The curriculum has been developed in collaboration with some of the sector’s leading employers and well-known industry figures including Michelin star chefs and 4 and 5 star hoteliers.
Applications for a scholarship can be found at www.edgehotelschool.ac.uk or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or 01206 872858.