Hotel scholarship for student
A STUDENT has been awarded a �3,000 scholarship at the UK’s first hotel school – based entirely in a fully operational commercial hotel.
Tori Cox is among the first group of students who started their courses this week at the Edge Hotel School at the University of Essex’s Colchester Campus.
The Codicote resident will be working towards a fast-track BA Honours degree in hotel management over two years, combining academic study with practical experience working in a hotel – the newly refurbished Wivenhoe House.
Tori, 18, was working in a pub and restaurant when she was given her scholarship from the Savoy Educational Trust.
She said: “I still cannot believe I am here. It will be really good when the Edge Hotel School is famous and I will be able to say I was a part of it.
You may also want to watch:
“I came to the Edge Hotel School because I liked the idea of how it combined theory and practical work – instead of just revolving around the classroom. That is great for me as that is how I like to learn.”
Savoy Educational Trust scholarships are designed to support talented students and help encourage “the outstanding hospitality managers of the future”.
- 1 Film crews spotted in Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 You Me At Six to play headline show at Hatfield's Slam Dunk Festival site
- 4 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 5 Sherrardswood School hosts family day event
- 6 Northaw festivals bid rejected after summer of chaos
- 7 Campaigners call on BioPark developers to collaborate
- 8 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 9 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 10 Smart new kits for Welwyn's men who maintain unbeaten start to new hockey season
A further six scholarships will be awarded in the coming year, three for each of the next two intakes, in July and September.
Tori said: “It is really helpful to receive this scholarship.
“Hopefully doing this course will help me go on to become a knowledgeable hotel manager. I would love to one day manage a famous hotel and I also want to travel and work in the hospitality industry – perhaps in America.”
Edge Hotel School students achieve a degree awarded by the University of Essex while working at the historic Wivenhoe House.
Students have the option of earning a one-year foundation degree or a BA Honours degree in two years. The curriculum has been developed in collaboration with some of the sector’s leading employers and well-known industry figures including Michelin star chefs and 4 and 5 star hoteliers.
Applications for a scholarship can be found at www.edgehotelschool.ac.uk or by contacting email@example.com or 01206 872858.