Application process for Hertfordshire school places opens
- Credit: Archant
The new school year may just be about to start, but it’s already time for Hertfordshire parents and carers to start planning ahead for next year.
The application process for secondary schools (including upper schools and university technical colleges) opens next week (Friday, September 1).
If your child is moving on next year make sure you apply for a place in good time.
The easiest way to apply for a school place for September 2018 is to visit www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/admissions and complete the online application form.
Online applications can be amended at any time up to the closing date and you can access your school offer before allocation letters are received and accept your school allocation online.
Last year, 99 per cent of parents applied this way.
Terry Douris, cabinet member for education, said: “Hertfordshire has a wide range of great secondary schools and we have a good track record of getting children a place at one of their preferred schools.
“We understand that this is very important to parents and carers.
- 1 Concerns raised over ‘grotesque’ 5G mast plans ruining iconic WGC view
- 2 Vandals trash toilet on WGC train
- 3 Homes selling fast at sought-after Welwyn Garden City development
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 6 Autism wellbeing event coming to Welwyn Garden City
- 7 Village off-licence at risk from plans for rival outlet
- 8 New safety signage installed at Stanborough Lakes
- 9 Nissan rolled in three-vehicle crash on M25
- 10 Welwyn Hatfield tops tenant complaint figures for east of England
“Last year nearly 95 per cent of children in Hertfordshire were allocated one of their four ranked secondary or upper schools.
“We work very hard to completely satisfy parental preference, though we are not always able to completely achieve this.
“I would urge parents to visit local schools before applying, consider carefully what schools they rank and to make realistic preferences.”
Leaflets explaining the secondary transfer process will be distributed to families through their child’s primary or middle school at the beginning of September.
Before making an application, parents and carers are strongly advised to visit schools and attend the information evenings to help them make their preferences.
Leaflets outlining all the secondary and upper open evenings were distributed in July.
The closing date for secondary applications is October 31.
All the information you need about the secondary transfer process is available on www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/admissions Parents without internet access can request a paper application form that must be returned direct to the Admissions and Transport team.
Application forms cannot be returned to primary schools.
Parents are advised to check www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/admissions for any updates to the published admission arrangements or timescales, and for advice on where to find extra help about applying for places.
• For more education news, visit our Education section at www.whtimes.co.uk/news/education