Hertfordshire County Council begins to allocate primary school places
- Credit: Archant
Now the primary school admissions process has closed, Hertfordshire County Council is beginning to allocate school places.
The council aims to allow as many children as possible to get into one of their preferred schools. It has a good track record in this area with 96 per cent of applicants offered a place at one of their four ranked primary, junior or middle schools last year, and 86 per cent gaining their first preference.
The council invested £13m on additional permanent primary places for September 2016 on top of spending £170m between 2011 and 2015 to provide more than 3,000 additional reception places.
This year, 14,962 applications were received for primary, 2,430 for junior and 365 for middle schools. Parents will find out which school their child has been allocated in April.
David Williams, Cabinet Member for Enterprise, Education and Skills, said: “I understand that parents and carers want their children to attend the school they most prefer.
You may also want to watch:
“We do everything we can to get children a place at their preferred school, and have invested millions to meet the growing demand for school places. However, we are not always able to completely satisfy parental preference and inevitably there will be some families who do not get a place they had hoped for.”
Parents are advised to check www.hertsdirect.org/admissions for any updates to the published admission arrangements or timescales. Details about new schools and additional places will also be published on the website.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 3 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 4 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 5 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 6 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 7 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 8 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 9 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 10 Brookmans Park pub reopens with more outdoor space for eating and drinking