Hatfield student scoops award for ‘outstanding’ contributions
- Credit: Archant
A student from Hatfield’s University of Hertfordshire scooped second prize in an IT competition recognising outstanding talent.
George Evans was awarded the silver prize at this year’s Information Technology Awards, run by the Worshipful Company of Information Technologies (WCIT).
WCIT, an organisation that works to promote the IT industry, created the awards to recognise brilliant undergraduate and postgraduate students in Britain.
Criteria for the award included academic excellence, overcoming adversity, entrepreneurial skills and contribution to charity or community.
George was nominated by the university’s dean of the school of computer science, William Clocksin, for his “unending contributions to extracurricular initiatives” and support for first year students.
You may also want to watch:
Professor Clocksin said: “George’s journey in higher education gives proof of his collegiality, contribution to the community, tenacity, resilience and outstanding academic ability.
“I am delighted that his contributions have been recognised by the Worshipful Company of Information Technologies (WCIT).”
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 4 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 5 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 6 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 7 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 8 'These heroes deserve a proper pay rise' - Demonstration of support for NHS workers to be held outside New QEII
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
George was awarded a £250 grant cheque as well as a 2018 Outstanding IT Award certificate.