Hatfield school unveils major development plan
- Credit: Archant
Hatfield’s only mixed secondary school has unveiled plans for major structural improvements funded by a substantial housing development on its grounds.
In a project outlined in a recent exhibition, Onslow St Audrey’s School proposes to relinquish land worth £4.9million to the Home Group, which would complete the redevelopment, including new science labs and sports facilities, in exchange.
Headteacher Mike Harpham said: “Assuming it all goes through, it will be a fantastic investment for the school and the people of Hatfield.
“It will be the first time since the school was built in 1959 that it has had significant investment.”
After digesting feedback to its exhibition, the school will submit a detailed planning application in September, and hopes work will start early next year, for completion in the middle of 2018.
You may also want to watch:
The Home Group proposes to build 80 to 100 houses of various sizes on the east of the Old Rectory Lane school site, with an “affordable” proportion to be decided in talks with the borough council.
But the project has already been approved by county council education bosses and the Government.
- 1 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 4 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 5 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 6 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 7 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
- 8 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 9 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 10 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
The school redevelopment, which will be completed first, includes a science block, a new indoor sports hall with changing rooms, two all- weather pitches, and an informal play area, together with parking areas and cycle storage.
Comments should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org