Hatfield school unveils major development plan
- Credit: Archant
Hatfield’s only mixed secondary school has unveiled plans for major structural improvements funded by a substantial housing development on its grounds.
In a project outlined in a recent exhibition, Onslow St Audrey’s School proposes to relinquish land worth £4.9million to the Home Group, which would complete the redevelopment, including new science labs and sports facilities, in exchange.
Headteacher Mike Harpham said: “Assuming it all goes through, it will be a fantastic investment for the school and the people of Hatfield.
“It will be the first time since the school was built in 1959 that it has had significant investment.”
After digesting feedback to its exhibition, the school will submit a detailed planning application in September, and hopes work will start early next year, for completion in the middle of 2018.
You may also want to watch:
The Home Group proposes to build 80 to 100 houses of various sizes on the east of the Old Rectory Lane school site, with an “affordable” proportion to be decided in talks with the borough council.
But the project has already been approved by county council education bosses and the Government.
- 1 May 17: Pub ready for reopening after £440k refurbishment
- 2 Social club 'blown away' by community support while closed for extended period
- 3 Search continues for missing Stevenage man
- 4 May 17: What can open when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday?
- 5 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 8 Top gear! Supercars drive into Knebworth for Petrolheadonism event
- 9 May 17th: Uno prepares to welcome more passengers on buses
- 10 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
The school redevelopment, which will be completed first, includes a science block, a new indoor sports hall with changing rooms, two all- weather pitches, and an informal play area, together with parking areas and cycle storage.
Comments should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org