Hatfield pupils think outside the box
- Credit: Archant
Pupils at Howe Dell School in Hatfield took part in a ‘think outside the box’ week, to learn how to stimulate writing from multi-sensory experiences.
Educational entertainers Science Boffins visited the school for assemblies and workshops, which included teaching the children how to make their own Slush Puppies using dry ice.
One of the Boffins showed the children ‘exploding elephant’s toothpaste’, telling a story about a friend of his looking after elephants at London Zoo, mixing chemicals together and watching them fizz and grow.
There were also workshops with a Stomp dancer, a giant egg challenge and a puppeteer for the youngest pupils.
Headteacher Debra Massey said:“No themed week is complete at Howe Dell without a dress up event.
“This time it was entitled ‘When I grow up, I want to be...’ and, much to our amusement, many staff came in dressed as elderly versions of themselves, declaring they wanted to retire.
“Costumes were imaginative and prompted a huge amount of writing in different genres, ranging from poetry to letters and story telling.
- 1 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 2 First business moves into Hatfield's new £45m High View development
- 3 Man injured while working in Hatfield Business Park
- 4 Potters Bar school in top 10 of The Sunday Times Schools Guide 2022
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 7 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 8 "The older generation still knows how to have a good time"
- 9 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 10 Meet the authors behind a new architecture book on Welwyn and Welwyn Garden City
“Our wonderful PSA subsidised the event with £500 to make it viable.”