Hatfield pupils and staff run to Rio for hospital
- Credit: Archant
Students and staff at Onslow St Audrey’s School in Hatfield are limbering up for the challenge of a lifetime.
Staff and pupils at Onslow St Audrey’s School in Hatfield are walking 5,772 miles to raise money for Great Ormond Street Hospital.
The ‘Road 2 Rio’ event is a challenge students set for themselves to walk the distance between the school and where the Olympic Games will be held in Rio.
On Friday, April 1 two tracks will be open on the field behind the school, one for walking and one for running. Staff and pupils will walk and run 222 back-to-back marathons until the feat has been completed.
The event was inspired by the school’s inspiration week in January, where pupils voted for people who inspired them.
You may also want to watch:
The pupils tweeted one of their inspirations, UK gold medal decathlete Daley Thompson, who tweeted back while on a cycle challenge in Kenya to them for naming him as an inspiration.
The school then decided to plan a charity event which incorporated fitness and could involved everyone. They aim to raise £5,772 for the charity.
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 3 What time will the election results come in?
- 4 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 9 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 10 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
Great Ormond Street Hospital is a charity close to students’ hearts as one student is a long-term patient of the hospital, and other students and staff’s children have received treatment there.
The school still vitally needs logistical support and donations such as water bottles, snacks, decorations, track props and goody bags.
To find out more about how you can help, please contact Elle Tyler on 01707 264228 Ext. 1502 or via email at email@example.com.
To sponsor the event go to https://www.justgiving.com/osa-r2r/