Hatfield incinerator protest today
A MASS protest against the hated Hatfield incinerator will take place in the town later this morning (Saturday).
At 11am, protesters will set off from High View, off Bishops Rise, on a march to White Lion Square, in the town centre.
Residents joining the march are being encouraged to bring their own placards, stating their opposition to plans by Hertfordshire County Council and Veolia Environmental Services to build an incinerator at the New Barnfield off Travellers Lane.
Following the march, the crowd will be addressed by a cross-party team of politicians – Welwyn Hatfield’s Conservative MP Grant Shapps MP, Labour group leader Kieran Thorpe, Paul Zukowskyj from the Liberal Democrats and the Green Party’s Jill Weston.
That will be followed by the release of 500 black balloons bearing anti-incinerator slogans, signifying the potential pollution the incinerator will release.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Zukowskyj called on all residents of Hertfordshire, not just Hatfield, to come out and show their support.
“I call on all Hertfordshire residents concerned about the impact on our community, county and world of this abomination to come along and join in,” he said.
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Welwyn nursery manager meets Boris Johnson at Downing Street reception
- 4 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 5 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
- 6 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 7 New free live music event set for Hertford Castle's grounds
- 8 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
“Only by standing up for ourselves do we have a chance to get things changed.
“Hertfordshire County Council isn’t listening. Veolia isn’t listening. We need to make them hear our voices and the only way to do that is to shout so loud they cannot ignore us.”