Hatfield incinerator protest today
A MASS protest against the hated Hatfield incinerator will take place in the town later this morning (Saturday).
At 11am, protesters will set off from High View, off Bishops Rise, on a march to White Lion Square, in the town centre.
Residents joining the march are being encouraged to bring their own placards, stating their opposition to plans by Hertfordshire County Council and Veolia Environmental Services to build an incinerator at the New Barnfield off Travellers Lane.
Following the march, the crowd will be addressed by a cross-party team of politicians – Welwyn Hatfield’s Conservative MP Grant Shapps MP, Labour group leader Kieran Thorpe, Paul Zukowskyj from the Liberal Democrats and the Green Party’s Jill Weston.
That will be followed by the release of 500 black balloons bearing anti-incinerator slogans, signifying the potential pollution the incinerator will release.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Zukowskyj called on all residents of Hertfordshire, not just Hatfield, to come out and show their support.
“I call on all Hertfordshire residents concerned about the impact on our community, county and world of this abomination to come along and join in,” he said.
- 1 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 4 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 5 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 6 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 7 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 8 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 9 Brookmans Park pub reopens with more outdoor space for eating and drinking
- 10 Plans for 'largest film studio in the UK' revealed for Hertfordshire
“Only by standing up for ourselves do we have a chance to get things changed.
“Hertfordshire County Council isn’t listening. Veolia isn’t listening. We need to make them hear our voices and the only way to do that is to shout so loud they cannot ignore us.”