Hatfield incinerator protest today
A MASS protest against the hated Hatfield incinerator will take place in the town later this morning (Saturday).
At 11am, protesters will set off from High View, off Bishops Rise, on a march to White Lion Square, in the town centre.
Residents joining the march are being encouraged to bring their own placards, stating their opposition to plans by Hertfordshire County Council and Veolia Environmental Services to build an incinerator at the New Barnfield off Travellers Lane.
Following the march, the crowd will be addressed by a cross-party team of politicians – Welwyn Hatfield’s Conservative MP Grant Shapps MP, Labour group leader Kieran Thorpe, Paul Zukowskyj from the Liberal Democrats and the Green Party’s Jill Weston.
That will be followed by the release of 500 black balloons bearing anti-incinerator slogans, signifying the potential pollution the incinerator will release.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Zukowskyj called on all residents of Hertfordshire, not just Hatfield, to come out and show their support.
“I call on all Hertfordshire residents concerned about the impact on our community, county and world of this abomination to come along and join in,” he said.
- 1 Upgrades to key shopping street will leave town 'well-placed' for future
- 2 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 3 Post delayed due to staff self-isolating at Royal Mail
- 4 Isabel Hospice closed to new admissions due to staff sickness
- 5 Police disperse large group near the university
- 6 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 COVID-19: Cases fall by hundreds but still above national average
- 9 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 10 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
“Only by standing up for ourselves do we have a chance to get things changed.
“Hertfordshire County Council isn’t listening. Veolia isn’t listening. We need to make them hear our voices and the only way to do that is to shout so loud they cannot ignore us.”