Cuffley girl overcomes mental health problems to scoop top degree and recognition
- Credit: Photo: Pete Stevens - CreativeEmpathy.com
A Cuffley girl has been awarded a special prize after overcoming mental health difficulties to graduate from Hatfield’s University of Hertfordshire.
Alex Anderson initially attended the University of Leicester in 2013, but had to drop out due to severe mental health problems.
She eventually returned to higher education at the University of Hertfordshire, where she went on to achieve a First class degree in English literature with German, and was highly commended in the Dean’s Awards for her commitment to global awareness and understanding.
Alex said: “My first year of study was extremely difficult and at many times, I didn’t think I’d make through till third year.
“However, the support I received from the university was incredible.
You may also want to watch:
“I immediately had a Study Needs Agreement put in place, which meant that if my attendance was poor or I was unable to participate in seminars, my tutors were aware and I didn’t fail any of my modules.”
She added: “My decision to start University again has been crucial in my recovery, giving me a real purpose again.
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 5 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 6 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 9 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
“Despite the many struggles, I can’t believe how far I’ve come and what I’ve achieved over the course of three years.”