College students bring school’s environmental garden to life
- Credit: Archant
Students from Oaklands College built a wildlife and environment garden at a school in Brookmans Park, based on a design by two of its pupils.
The students, from the college’s landscape and construction department, built the garden for Chancellor’s School as the prize for winning at the WHT Schools Awards last year.
Chancellor’s pupils Alex Chadwell, 13, and his sister Katherine, 16, from Barnet, designed the garden. They said: “It’s almost exactly as we planned it.”
Head of science at Chancellor’s School Liza Merrett said: “This is brilliant and students across the school will now have hands-on learning experiences in ecology, life-cycles and pond dipping.
“We will also be setting up an after- school gardening club.”
You may also want to watch:
Tee Robertson, head of landscape construction at Oaklands, said: “This has been an amazing work experience opportunity for our students with over 40 taking part during the week long project.
“They have really enjoyed installing the pond and bog area as this is something they wouldn’t have been able to do if it wasn’t for this project.”
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 4 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 5 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 6 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 9 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart
- 10 Jodie Williams gunning for gold after barrier-breaking personal best at Tokyo 2020 Olympics