Budding Potters Bar artists win Christmas card competition
- Credit: Archant
Christmas came early for a pair of budding Potters Bar artists, as they won prizes in a Yuletide card competition.
More than 300 children from schools across the borough took part in the annual art contest to design Hertsmere Borough Council’s official Christmas greeting.
The standard of entries was so high that five, rather than the usual three, winners were chosen by Hertsmere mayor, Cllr Paul Morris OBE, and his wife Linda.
Zoe Dewberry, eight, from Ladbrooke JMI School in Potters Bar, scooped second prize for her comical design of Santa stuck in a chimney with the caption ‘Oh no! Too many mince pies’.
The card will be sent electronically to other civic dignitaries and community organisations.
You may also want to watch:
Third prize went to Jasmine Summer Harryman, nine, also from Ladbrooke JMI School, who drew a pretty Christmas village scene.
First place went to a pupil from Borehamwood.
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 People with these surnames in Herts could be sitting on unclaimed estate fortunes
- 4 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 5 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 6 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 7 Teenager charged after 'Rambo knife' and suspected class A drugs found
- 8 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 9 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 10 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
All the winners attended a ceremony at the council’s Civic Offices in Borehamwood, where they were presented with a certificate, gift voucher, a large poster version of their drawing and a set of cards of their own design to give to friends and family.
Councillor Morris said: “This is the eighth year the council has run a Christmas card competition and each year we seem to get more and more entries.
“We enjoyed looking through all of the designs as it was lovely to see so many children put the effort in.
“It was difficult choosing the winners but the five winning cards stood out for us.
“Well done to all the winners and a big thank you goes to all the children and schools who took part.”
Little Heath Primary School, in Potters Bar, and St Giles’ C of E Primary School, in South Mimms, also took part in the festive competition.