Brave Hatfield student passes GCSEs despite illness
A HATFIELD schoolgirl defied serious illness to score top marks in her GCSEs – aged just 15.
Bishop’s Hatfield Girls’ School student Sophie Washington picked up her results a year earlier than most, having spent five months in hospital with a rare form of diabetes and septicaemia.
Even though she still spends 75 per cent of the time as a bed-bound patient, determined Sophie – watched by proud mum Lisa – picked up three A*s, four As and two Bs.
And the remarkable teen, who has already partly completed an A-level in biology, said: “It’s been quite a tough year.
“But I was so determined that I wanted to do my GCSEs this year that I would do it anywhere; I didn’t want to miss the opportunity.
You may also want to watch:
“I know I will get better, I don’t want to be stuck with no qualifications in the future just because I was ill when I was younger.”
For more on this story and a round up of GCSE results, see this weeks Welwyn Hatfield Times, out now.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 9 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago