Badminton star visits Welwyn school for sports awards
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
An international badminton player visited a school in Welwyn as part of its Sports Personality of the Year awards.
Former England star Elizabeth Cann popped into Oaklands Primary School to help with the day, which is designed to celebrate the sporting successes of its pupils throughout the year.
The day involved all children voting for a boy and girl from their class, with the winning pair from each making up the 14 finalists.
All the youngsters also took part in a sponsored fitness circuit and workshops with Elizabeth before the winners were announced in a special assembly.
An Oaklands spokesman said: “It was a fantastic day and I hope that it has inspired the other children in our school to strive towards sporting achievements.
You may also want to watch:
“In a society where childhood obesity and mental health are growing epidemics, participating in and enjoying sport is vital.
“We aim to ensure all our children enjoy being active.”
- 1 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 2 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 6 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 10 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre