Badminton star visits Welwyn school for sports awards
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
An international badminton player visited a school in Welwyn as part of its Sports Personality of the Year awards.
Former England star Elizabeth Cann popped into Oaklands Primary School to help with the day, which is designed to celebrate the sporting successes of its pupils throughout the year.
The day involved all children voting for a boy and girl from their class, with the winning pair from each making up the 14 finalists.
All the youngsters also took part in a sponsored fitness circuit and workshops with Elizabeth before the winners were announced in a special assembly.
An Oaklands spokesman said: “It was a fantastic day and I hope that it has inspired the other children in our school to strive towards sporting achievements.
“In a society where childhood obesity and mental health are growing epidemics, participating in and enjoying sport is vital.
“We aim to ensure all our children enjoy being active.”
- 1 Primary school drops to 'inadequate' Ofsted rating five years after 'Good' score
- 2 Older woman assaulted in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 'Best headteacher' leaves Hatfield school
- 4 QEII Hospital to receive million pound investment
- 5 From Welwyn Garden City to Colorado: The long-distance fiancées fundraising for a UK visa
- 6 Where you can get a walk-in booster or vaccine this weekend
- 7 Hatfield man faces murder charge
- 8 Hatfield to get new pub following £9 million investment
- 9 Planning inquiry to determine quarry plans for Hatfield Aerodrome closes
- 10 MP Oliver Dowden reacts to Downing Street 'party'