Badminton star visits Welwyn school for sports awards
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
An international badminton player visited a school in Welwyn as part of its Sports Personality of the Year awards.
Former England star Elizabeth Cann popped into Oaklands Primary School to help with the day, which is designed to celebrate the sporting successes of its pupils throughout the year.
The day involved all children voting for a boy and girl from their class, with the winning pair from each making up the 14 finalists.
All the youngsters also took part in a sponsored fitness circuit and workshops with Elizabeth before the winners were announced in a special assembly.
An Oaklands spokesman said: “It was a fantastic day and I hope that it has inspired the other children in our school to strive towards sporting achievements.
You may also want to watch:
“In a society where childhood obesity and mental health are growing epidemics, participating in and enjoying sport is vital.
“We aim to ensure all our children enjoy being active.”
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 3 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 4 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 5 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 6 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 7 Clinic launched at sports village to help 'long COVID' sufferers
- 8 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 9 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 10 Brookmans Park pub celebrates welcoming back visitors on April 12