Baby College classes for your tiny boffin in Welwyn Garden City
- Credit: Heather Birt
Baby classes with a difference are opening in Welwyn Garden City - where the parents learn as much as the kids.
St Albans mum Heather Birt is opening a Baby College, a weekly programme for parents and their babies about infant development.
With all the kids’ activities, games and songs one might expect at a nursery, the emphasis is equally on engaging mums and dads and boosting their parenting confidence, knowledge and skills.
The Baby College scheme was devised by an associate of the Institute of Neuro-Physiological Psychology, who looked at how early years activities contribute to a child’s development.
Heather and her partner Gavin went to Baby College with their son Joshua in Oxfordshire, and loved the experience so much Heather decided to open the mid-Herts franchise, serving Welwyn Garden City, St Albans and Harpenden.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “We both loved the sessions and took away many ideas for play, new songs to sing and valuable information about infant development and parenting.”
The Backhouse Room in Handside Lane will host the weekly classes with a maximum of 15 tots in each class, plus their parents or guardians.
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 3 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 4 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 5 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 6 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 7 Local Plan: Inspector has concerns over why Green Belt sites were removed
- 8 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 9 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 10 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
Heather explained that the classes “are a fun mix of physical, multi-sensory and cognitive games, exercises and activities including music, dancing, baby signing and loads more.
“The child development topics, covering subjects including brain development, infant reflexes, the vestibular system, language acquisition and visual development, among many others are so fascinating – they really help parents to enjoy and appreciate their growing child fully.”
Welwyn mum Jen Winchester, who has been attending classes in St Albans, said: “Baby College classes are so varied - there are weekly Insight topics which cover fascinating facts around different areas of babies development, as well as signing, songs, music and a colour or shape theme each week.
“Heather is so enthusiastic and engaging with all of the babies!”
Classes cost £7.20 per session and can be booked a term in advance.
For further details, see http://babycollege.co.uk/mid-herts/3773740