Access to Welwyn Garden City school made easier
SCHOOLCHILDREN who have trudged their way through mud and slippery hills on their walk home to a village will no longer be struggling.
For a footpath is being made from the roundabout by underpass at the A1000, Hertford Road, stretching across Monk’s Walk school field and into the school.
It is hoped the �4000 path, which has been funded from county councillor Richard Smith’s locality budget, will provide a safe, surfaced shortcut to the school from Welwyn for walkers and cyclists, and help to reduce the number of journeys made by car on local roads.
Cllr Smith said: “Making it easier and safer for pupils to walk or cycle to school rather than going by car is something that the county council has been working to achieve for many years as part of its main transport policies.
“As well as helping to reduce the number of cars on the road, along with the resulting congestion, pollution and traffic hazards, it also benefits the pupils themselves by helping them to become fitter, more active and independent.”
Monk’s Walk head teacher Phil Bunn said: “We are very pleased to hear that our application to the locality budget has been approved by county councillor Richard Smith.
“We will be discussing plans to improve the route to school from Welwyn with the county council teams dealing with the public footpaths and safer routes to school. This grant will enable us to go ahead with the part of the route within the grounds of the school.”
- 1 'Best headteacher' leaves Hatfield school
- 2 From Welwyn Garden City to Colorado: The long-distance fiancées fundraising for a UK visa
- 3 Hatfield to get new pub following £9 million investment
- 4 Hatfield man faces murder charge
- 5 Christmas gifts and hampers stolen from garden centre
- 6 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 'It's incredible that this could save someone’s life'
- 9 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 10 Runners get festive for Garden City race