Access to Welwyn Garden City school made easier
SCHOOLCHILDREN who have trudged their way through mud and slippery hills on their walk home to a village will no longer be struggling.
For a footpath is being made from the roundabout by underpass at the A1000, Hertford Road, stretching across Monk’s Walk school field and into the school.
It is hoped the �4000 path, which has been funded from county councillor Richard Smith’s locality budget, will provide a safe, surfaced shortcut to the school from Welwyn for walkers and cyclists, and help to reduce the number of journeys made by car on local roads.
Cllr Smith said: “Making it easier and safer for pupils to walk or cycle to school rather than going by car is something that the county council has been working to achieve for many years as part of its main transport policies.
“As well as helping to reduce the number of cars on the road, along with the resulting congestion, pollution and traffic hazards, it also benefits the pupils themselves by helping them to become fitter, more active and independent.”
You may also want to watch:
Monk’s Walk head teacher Phil Bunn said: “We are very pleased to hear that our application to the locality budget has been approved by county councillor Richard Smith.
“We will be discussing plans to improve the route to school from Welwyn with the county council teams dealing with the public footpaths and safer routes to school. This grant will enable us to go ahead with the part of the route within the grounds of the school.”
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 6 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 9 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 10 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart