EastEnders favourite Charlie being axed by BBC
BBC One soap EastEnders has axed six of its characters – including Hatfield man Derek Martin.
Known to millions as Charlie Slater and a firm favourite among fans, Derek has been with the show since his on-screen family arrived in Albert Square in September 2000.
He, along with characters mechanic Minty Peterson, Oxford students Adam Best and Libby Fox, Libby’s gran Liz Turner and schemer Danny Mitchell, will all be leaving.
Father-of-two Derek, 77, moved to Hatfield in 2002 and could have been in the BBC’s longest-running soap as Dirty Den.
Speaking to the WHT back in 2006, he said: “I was originally up for the part of Dirty Den and I was down to the last five, but I was not quite a ladies’ man.
You may also want to watch:
“They then offered me the part of Frank Butcher, but I was in The King and the Castle so couldn’t do it.”
He added: “But I’m in it now and love it – I can’t wait to go to work every day.
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 What time will the election results come in?
- 4 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 5 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 6 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 7 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 10 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
“I’m as happy as a pig in mire.”