EastEnders favourite Charlie being axed by BBC
BBC One soap EastEnders has axed six of its characters – including Hatfield man Derek Martin.
Known to millions as Charlie Slater and a firm favourite among fans, Derek has been with the show since his on-screen family arrived in Albert Square in September 2000.
He, along with characters mechanic Minty Peterson, Oxford students Adam Best and Libby Fox, Libby’s gran Liz Turner and schemer Danny Mitchell, will all be leaving.
Father-of-two Derek, 77, moved to Hatfield in 2002 and could have been in the BBC’s longest-running soap as Dirty Den.
Speaking to the WHT back in 2006, he said: “I was originally up for the part of Dirty Den and I was down to the last five, but I was not quite a ladies’ man.
You may also want to watch:
“They then offered me the part of Frank Butcher, but I was in The King and the Castle so couldn’t do it.”
He added: “But I’m in it now and love it – I can’t wait to go to work every day.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 9 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
“I’m as happy as a pig in mire.”