Dumped asbestos finally cleared from Brookmans Park

POTENTIALLY hazardous asbestos that had been illegally dumped in a quiet country lane has finally been removed - after a delay of more than four weeks. In today s (Wednesday) WHT, we

POTENTIALLY hazardous asbestos that had been illegally dumped in a quiet country lane has finally been removed - after a delay of more than four weeks.

In today's (Wednesday) WHT, we ran an article about fly-tipped rubbish - which included asbestos - in Bradmore Lane, Brookmans Park.

The refuse was reported to Welwyn Hatfield Council and the police on February 16, but its collection was not prioritised - even though asbestos was present.

However this morning, just hours after our papers hit the shops, Serco employees were on site to begin clearing the waste.


You may also want to watch:


Writing on community website www.brookmans.com, a poster known as Peppermint said: "The asbestos was removed this morning.

"I drove down Bradmore Lane at 8.45am and they (Serco) had wrapped it in thick plastic.

Most Read

"I asked one of the men was it asbestos and he confirmed that it was.

"I can't believe that both the council and the police knew about it and yet it took four weeks to arrange for its removal but at least it has gone now."

A council spokeswoman said: "All fly-tipped asbestos was removed from the reported site in Brookmans Park this morning (March 18) by 8.45am.

"Serco undertook the removal."

She added: "A further freighter will be dispatched later today to collect any remaining, non-asbestos debris.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus