Police winning antisocial behaviour battle in Welwyn Garden City?
PUBLISHED: 10:46 18 June 2018 | UPDATED: 11:10 18 June 2018
A drop in the number of antisocial behaviour (ASB) incidents in key WGC hotspots bodes well for policing efforts.
Looking solely at incidents at KFC, McDonalds and the Howard Centre, between March and May police recorded an 84 per cent decrease in ASB.
The numbers dropped from 19 in March, to 11 in April and three in May, and by June 14 none had been recorded for this month.
Welwyn Hatfield neighbourhood inspector Sophia Adams said that the Safer Neighbourhood Team have been working hard on the matter, adding: “A number of actions have been taken to tackle anti-social behaviour including issuing banning letters, community protection notice warnings (CPNWs), meeting with parents, using CCTV and working with our partners.”
In March, the police and crime commissioner David Lloyd awarded Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council £26,000 to help tackle the issue.
PC James Tassell from the Safer Neighbourhood Team has also been visiting the Youth Hub in Peartree Lane every few months to make stronger connections with young people in the area.
A police spokesperson added that there was “significant” work behind the scenes, but for operational reasons they couldn’t go into further detail.
Inspector Adams said: “If you witness antisocial behaviour in your neighbourhood please report it straight away so that we can take the appropriate action.
“You can contact us via the non-emergency number 101 or report information online www.herts.police.uk/report.”
• MORE: Welwyn Garden City McDonald’s plays classical music in bid to deter antisocial behaviour
• MORE: Welwyn Garden City police officer holds antisocial behaviour meeting with youths
• MORE: Youths climb on roofs in Welwyn Garden City
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.