Dramatic duckling rescue in Welwyn Garden City
A BABY duck trapped 20ft down a drain was at the centre of a dramatic rescue attempt.
The cute little duckling had fallen through an overflow grate at Black Fan Lagoon in WGC and drawn quite a crowd concerned for its welfare.
Firefighters from WGC’s white watch were called to the scene at around 6pm last Tuesday night.
One fireman told the WHT: “You could see the little fella had gone over the edge, but there was no way it could get back up the 20ft drop.
“We could see he was sat on the water, but it was only about two inches deep down there.”
You may also want to watch:
The firefighters cut off a metal lock to the grate, and sent an experienced crew member down to rescue the struggling young bird.
The duckling was brought back to the surface in a bucket tied to a rope, by white watch’s latest recruit, firefighter Dave Smith, who soon released the youngster back to his mother on the water.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 3 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 7 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 8 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 9 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed