Doctor says there is ‘no truth’ behind indecent assault allegations

PUBLISHED: 13:51 16 March 2016 | UPDATED: 13:51 16 March 2016

Dr Mohammed Haq leaving St Albans Crown Court

Dr Mohammed Haq leaving St Albans Crown Court

Archant

A doctor accused of fondling the breasts of a teenage girl and three other women at Hatfield surgeries has said there is “no truth whatsoever” in the allegations.

Dr Mohammed Haq, 74, of Parkstone Avenue, Hornchurch, had been charged with 10 counts of indecent assault between the 1970s and early 1980s. However, two of those charges were dropped at St Albans Crown Court on Monday because of what the judge called ambiguous evidence.

The eight remaining counts allegedly occurred in Burvill House Surgery, Hilltop Surgery, which has since closed, and Colney Heath Surgery.

On one occasion Dr Haq allegedly fondled the breasts of a woman complaining of fainting. However, he said: “Because of the history of fainting I had to do the examination on the chest, heart and lungs to make sure there were no anomalies.”

Prosecuting barrister Miranda Moore said: “You took the opportunity to grope your female patients hoping that because you’re a doctor they would not complain.”

For the full story check out this week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times, out now.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times