Destructive fire in Cuffley

PUBLISHED: 09:55 16 February 2016 | UPDATED: 09:55 16 February 2016

Firefighters were called to Cuffley

Firefighters were called to Cuffley

Cambs Fire & Rescue Service

A garden shed and adjoining greenhouse were destroyed in a fire, apparently started by a carelessly tossed away lit cigarette.

Firefighters were called to a bungalow in Brookside Crescent, Cuffley at 2.30pm on Sunday, but were unable to save either of the structures.

Watch commander Gary Bailey said: “It was an elderly gentleman.

“He seems to think it was a discarded cigarette, so we have put it down as accidental.

“They [the shed and greenhouse] were totally destroyed.

“He was a bit shaken up. Fortunately it was a big garden. The bungalow was at least 20 metres away.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times