Crimewatch appeal to trace Hatfield couple in connection with ‘horrific’ murder
- Credit: Archant
A HATFIELD couple are wanted by police following the murder of a man who was shot yards from his family.
Tonight (Thursday), an appeal is being made on BBC’s Crimewatch to trace John Boy Ward, 32, and his wife Joleen Josie Ward, 21.
The pair’s last known address was in Clarkson Court, Hatfield.
They are wanted following the murder of Thomas Ward, John Boy’s second cousin.
John Boy is wanted on suspicion of conspiracy to murder, while Joleen, who is pregnant, is wanted on suspicion of assisting an offender.
Both are thought to have left the country in the days after the murder.
Thomas Ward, 21, died on April 23 after being shot outside his caravan in Dyes Lane, near Stevenage.
- 1 Six buses damaged at Potters Bar Bus Garage after 'significant' blaze
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Nottingham man wanted in connection with Welwyn Garden City offences
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Man 'broke in and tried to steal car' in Potters Bar
- 7 Noel Tovey named as managing director at Sky Studios Elstree and first production announced as Wicked
- 8 League Two sides heading to Potters Bar Town for pre-season
- 9 Man suffers leg injuries after stabbing at Queensway in Hatfield
- 10 Hertfordshire's Wilkestock festival to return after licensing row resolved
It is believed three men, who had their faces covered, attacked the caravan before Thomas came outside and was shot in the chest.
His wife and five-day-old daughter, Lilly, were inside the caravan when the shooting happened.
He later died in hospital.
Detective Chief Inspector Sharn Basra, from the Joint Major Crime Unit, said: “We urgently need to trace both John Boy and Joleen.
“This is such a horrific crime and I would urge anyone who has any information on their whereabouts to contact us immediately.
“We believe the couple left the country in the days after the murder and may be in Europe.
“However, they do both have links to North London and I would appeal to anyone in the North London area who may have knowledge of their whereabouts to contact police.”
Three vehicles are being linked to the killing, including a black Mercedes C250, which John Boy is believed to have used to drive from Hatfield to Barnet in the early hours of April 24.
The other cars were a white Audi, with the cloned registration RV59 HSK, and a white Volkswagen Golf, seen in convoy ten minutes before the murder.
DCI Basra continued: “We have since recovered the white Audi but would appeal for anyone who saw this vehicle on the night of the murder, and any of the other vehicles mentioned since that evening to contact police.
“Those involved in Thomas’s murder should be brought to justice and I would urge anyone with any information which can assist our investigation to contact police or Crimestoppers immediately.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 01707 355666.
A reward of up to £5,000 is being offered by Crimestoppers for information as part of the investigation.
The reward will be given to anyone who provides the independent charity with information leading to the arrest and conviction of any person or persons linked to the incident.
You can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.