Crime in Hertfordshire rises 16%, police reveal
- Credit: Archant
Crime in Hertfordshire has risen 16 per cent, police revealed today, with car crime identified as an increasing threat.
Officers have attributed the overall rise during the last financial year to improved recording and victim confidence to report crimes.
Chief Constable Charlie Hall said: “We have placed great focus on the under reporting of crime during the past year, and encouraging victims to come forward.
“There is evidence that victims of previously hidden crimes, such as domestic abuse and sexual offences, are becoming more confident than ever before in coming forward to report crimes.”
Despite the changes in recording practices and improved compliance, the Constabulary has identified some underlying increases in certain crime types – including motor vehicle crime and shoplifting.
You may also want to watch:
However, some areas have seen a decrease, such as home burglaries, which fell by 3.7% county-wide.
Charlie Hall added: “Whilst Hertfordshire continues to experience relatively low levels of crime, having one of the lowest levels of recorded crime in the country, we do experience local crime hotspots, such as recently with vehicle crime.
- 1 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 2 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 3 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 6 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 7 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 8 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 9 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 10 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
“We are proactively tackling these problems and pursuing the people responsible.”