Councillor blasts contractor after Welwyn Garden City drain ‘farce’
PUBLISHED: 11:23 16 November 2017 | UPDATED: 11:27 16 November 2017
The county council’s highways contractor has been slammed after claiming some Welwyn Garden City work was complete despite concrete remaining strewn by the road.
Lib Dem borough councillor Malcolm Cowan contacted Ringway after spotting the upturned drain in Heather Road, but he was left furious after being told that following an inspection, the necessary work had been completed and no further action was planned.
He told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “As you can see from the ‘after’ photo, there are lumps of concrete lying around, and the drain has not been re-laid.
“This is dangerous. The fact the cone has been left there shows work has not been undertaken.
“This is at least the third time in the last couple of years this has happened with faults I have reported – no work done, but claim it is fixed.”
He added that it was a “farce” that Ringway’s contract, as he understands, is set to be extended without the county council going out to tender.
Kevin Carrol, Ringway divisional manager, working on behalf of Hertfordshire County Council, said: “One of our Emergency Crews visited site on November 7, 2017, but were unable to complete at the time as did not have the equipment to do so.
“They placed the cone to make people aware of the hazard and then advised their depot that a follow on job is required to complete the repair.
“This is planned to be carried out in the next few days. We apologise that this information was not passed on to the enquirer.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.