Construction begins on 'first council homes for a generation' in Welwyn Hatfield
PUBLISHED: 10:30 02 November 2016
A ground-breaking event marked the start of construction of the first council homes in Welwyn Hatfield for 25 years.
Mayor Pat Mabbott broke the ground with an excavator at the event on Monday, October 31, which was hosted by Mears New Homes.
The flats will be built on disused brownfield sites in Garden Avenue, Hatfield. They will include a range of energy-saving features and provide affordable homes for residents on the council’s housing register.
A total of 22 new homes will be built, consisting of 15 two-bedroom apartments and seven one-bedroom apartments. All of the properties will be available for an affordable rent tenure.
Councillor Mandy Perkins, executive member for planning, housing and community, said: “These properties are part of a new generation of council housing that will provide local families on lower incomes with high quality new homes.
“I am particularly pleased they will be energy efficient, so residents can save on fuel costs.
“I very much look forward to seeing the transformation of this site progress over the coming months.”
Construction is expected to be complete in winter 2017.
Tim Carpenter, managing director of Mears New Homes, said: “We are very excited to be starting work on building brand new council homes for Hatfield.
“This is a great use for the site and we look forward to it being developed so we can welcome new residents into their affordable homes.”
The council’s affordable housing programme has so far delivered 87 homes, with a further 66 homes either with planning permission or in construction.