Conservative candidate Grant Shapps arrives for election count
Tory candidate Grant Shapps has arrived at Campus West for the election count – following a marathon tour of the constituency.
Mr Shapps had decided to spend election day attempting to visit all 50 polling stations in Welwyn Hatfield – but just fell short, finally making 34 stops.
“It’s quite hard for a candidate to know what to do on Election Day,” Mr Shapps said.
“You’ve done all your door knocking and campaigning, so I just decided to go out and see how things were going.”
Having both won and lost an election in Welwyn Hatfield, Mr Shapps said he was taking nothing for granted.
You may also want to watch:
“Welwyn Hatfield is the kind of place where people vote for themselves,” he said.
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 What time will the election results come in?
- 3 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 4 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 5 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 6 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 7 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 10 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say