Concert to celebrate Welwyn Garden City church’s 90th anniversary
A CONCERT to mark the 90th anniversary of Welwyn Garden City’s Free Church takes place on Saturday night.
The Vivace Choir will be leading the celebrations in Church Road from 7.30pm.
Vivace is a large chamber choir of around 40 members, based in Arlesey in Bedfordshire.
Choir members will be performing Mozart’s Trinity Mass, Haydn’s Te Deum and other choral classics.
Tickets cost �10 and are available on 01707 896248 or, subject to availability, can be purchased on the door.
You may also want to watch:
The concert will take place at the Free Church in Church Road.
The life of the Free Church began with a service on May 1, 1921, held in one of the workmen’s huts used during the construction of the first parts of the town.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
As the congregation grew, meetings were held in various locations.
In 1928, the present site of the church in Church Road was consecrated, and the building was designed by Louis de Soissons, the architect of Welwyn Garden City. It was completed in 1929.
Other events to mark the 90th anniversary will include a special celebratory service on Sunday, May 1, and a flower festival in September.