Cash point joy at former Welwyn Garden City post office branch
CAMPAIGNERS who failed to stop a neighbourhood post office from being closed have something to celebrate. For after months of negotiations the site is getting a new cash machine. The previous one was closed when the Marsden Road, WGC, post office branch
CAMPAIGNERS who failed to stop a neighbourhood post office from being closed have something to celebrate.
For after months of negotiations the site is getting a new cash machine.
The previous one was closed when the Marsden Road, WGC, post office branch was forced to shut.
That was in November last year.
You may also want to watch:
News of the move came from Mrs Ruth Orme, who was postmistress at the time of its closure, and who fought against closure as a member of the Council of War set up by former borough councillor Dr Dennis Lewis.
Manager of the Handside Post Office prior to its closure, Mr Richard Edlin, said: "We have been negotiating for this replacement ATM [Automatic Telling Machine] for three months.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Christmas event plans revealed for Welwyn Hatfield
- 3 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 4 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 5 Businesses to decide on future of Welwyn Garden City BID as renewal campaign gets underway
- 6 Councillor Steven Markiewicz dies from illness after 17 years of service
- 7 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 8 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 9 Charity golf day raises thousands for the Willow Foundation
- 10 Drink spiking: University of Hertfordshire students join Girls Night In protest
"At last it has come to pass.
"The new machine will come into use on March 12.
"We have invited the mayor to cut the ribbon. Then we will have a bit of a party to celebrate!
"This is another step taken to fulfil my promise that we would continue providing as extensive a service as we can.
"Although we are again providing a letter and parcels posting service, unfortunately we are not allowed to provide pension or benefit payments. We suggest Handside residents use the Shoplands post office for those; the queues are shorter than those at the town centre post office in Howardsgate!"
Chairman of the Council of War, Dr Lewis, said: "I am delighted this cash service has been reinstated by Richard Edlin. I used it myself so I know how useful it will be to residents of the Handside area.
"No charge will be made for withdrawing cash so it is just like it was before." Dr Lewis continued: "I am still utterly disgusted with the Post Office Ltd decision to shut our post office when I thought we had made a very good case for keeping it open.
"We were very heartened by the superb backing and support we got from the local community.
"I am still trying to get a review of that disgraceful decision, but I have yet to make direct contact with the POL chairman, Mr Alan Leighton. I get letters from his 'gophers', so I guess he is cowering behind his desk, thoroughly ashamed of the decision his people have made!"
Dr Lewis concluded: "The unveiling of the ATM will take place on Thursday at 2.30pm.
"some modest refreshments will be provided. All WGC residents are invited to mark this nice piece of enterprise on the part of Richard Edlin, who is to be congratulated on working so tirelessly on behalf of his community.