Cash point joy at former Welwyn Garden City post office branch
CAMPAIGNERS who failed to stop a neighbourhood post office from being closed have something to celebrate. For after months of negotiations the site is getting a new cash machine. The previous one was closed when the Marsden Road, WGC, post office branch
CAMPAIGNERS who failed to stop a neighbourhood post office from being closed have something to celebrate.
For after months of negotiations the site is getting a new cash machine.
The previous one was closed when the Marsden Road, WGC, post office branch was forced to shut.
That was in November last year.
You may also want to watch:
News of the move came from Mrs Ruth Orme, who was postmistress at the time of its closure, and who fought against closure as a member of the Council of War set up by former borough councillor Dr Dennis Lewis.
Manager of the Handside Post Office prior to its closure, Mr Richard Edlin, said: "We have been negotiating for this replacement ATM [Automatic Telling Machine] for three months.
- 1 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 2 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 6 Welwyn Garden City school raises nearly £1,000 for Isabel Hospice with annual 'Charity Day'
- 7 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 8 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 9 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 10 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
"At last it has come to pass.
"The new machine will come into use on March 12.
"We have invited the mayor to cut the ribbon. Then we will have a bit of a party to celebrate!
"This is another step taken to fulfil my promise that we would continue providing as extensive a service as we can.
"Although we are again providing a letter and parcels posting service, unfortunately we are not allowed to provide pension or benefit payments. We suggest Handside residents use the Shoplands post office for those; the queues are shorter than those at the town centre post office in Howardsgate!"
Chairman of the Council of War, Dr Lewis, said: "I am delighted this cash service has been reinstated by Richard Edlin. I used it myself so I know how useful it will be to residents of the Handside area.
"No charge will be made for withdrawing cash so it is just like it was before." Dr Lewis continued: "I am still utterly disgusted with the Post Office Ltd decision to shut our post office when I thought we had made a very good case for keeping it open.
"We were very heartened by the superb backing and support we got from the local community.
"I am still trying to get a review of that disgraceful decision, but I have yet to make direct contact with the POL chairman, Mr Alan Leighton. I get letters from his 'gophers', so I guess he is cowering behind his desk, thoroughly ashamed of the decision his people have made!"
Dr Lewis concluded: "The unveiling of the ATM will take place on Thursday at 2.30pm.
"some modest refreshments will be provided. All WGC residents are invited to mark this nice piece of enterprise on the part of Richard Edlin, who is to be congratulated on working so tirelessly on behalf of his community.