Carpetright Potters Bar closure rumours scotched
RUMOURS that a carpet store in Potters Bar had been set to close have been scotched.
Traders in the town had thought that Carpetright, in Darkes Lane, might be preparing to close after they observed stock being moved from the shop.
However, the rumour was this week put to bed in a statement from the company’s head office.
Richard Renouf, head of consumer affairs, said: “We are sorry to hear of rumours about our Potters Bar shop.
“We are in fact making space to increase our range of products and offer even more value to our customers and we plan to be here for many years to come!”
You may also want to watch:
The branch opened in May 2009 on the site of the former Woolworths store, which had been in the town since 1954.
Yet its arrival did not prove popular with traders, who were already concerned about reduced footfall in the town.
- 1 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 2 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 5 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 6 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 7 Foundation makes much-needed toy donation to Welwyn Garden City school
- 8 Skills the way forward for Hertfordshire’s Covid recovery as new strategy launched
- 9 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 10 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
The shop also came in for some stick online, after more than 1,000 residents joined a group on the social networking site Facebook called Get Carpet Right out of Potters Bar.
The Woolworths store closed in January when the retail chain entered administration.