Carl saves the day for Welwyn Hatfield charity
A FORMER Special Branch cop came to the rescue of a charity and helped its fundraising event go ahead.
Deputy mayor Carl Storer, who had an illustrious career with the Met Police, had attended the buffet evening for WGC-based charity the Mixed Group to hear a speech from resident Reg Gwilliam.
But due to ill health Mr Gwilliam had to pull out at the last minute.
Charity organiser Sean Cox, not wanting to cancel the event, which helps to raise funds for a Christmas Day lunch for the elderly and lonely, called on the borough councillor.
Mr Cox said: “Cllr Storer talked about life in the police and Special Branch and even held a question-and-answer session, too.
You may also want to watch:
“We raised around �700 and of course send our best wishes to Reg, too.”
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 3 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 7 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 8 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 9 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed