‘Career-focused since she was a Saturday girl’
WHEN Gemma Newcombe was named as the Young Business Person of the Year, the only person who wasn’t surprised was her boss.
“I knew she was going to win,” said Esther Smith, manager of Saks Hair and Beauty in The Howard Centre, WGC. “How could she not?”
It was Esther who entered colour technician Gemma for the award. “I wanted her to be recognised outside of the industry for what she’s achieved,” she said. “Especially considering she’s so young.”
Gemma, 21, has been working at Saks WGC since 2004, and in that time has completed a number of hairdressing qualifications, and is about to complete a prestigious L’Oreal Colour Specialist degree.
“She’s always really focused on her career, right from when she was a Saturday girl,” said Esther.
You may also want to watch:
“She’s achieved so much; she has quite a lot of qualifications. She’s now doing a colour degree which is the highest award available. She’s quite an inspiration in her field.”
Gemma, from Knightsfield, WGC, was surprised about her win.
- 1 Welwyn Garden City school raises nearly £1,000 for Isabel Hospice with annual 'Charity Day'
- 2 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 3 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 4 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 5 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 6 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 7 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 10 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
“Everyone was getting excited, but I just kept telling people not to, because they were going to be disappointed,” she said.
“I didn’t expect to win. I don’t really think of myself as a “business person”, but obviously I am!”
She added: “I think it’s a really big achievement. I feel like I’ve worked really hard this year and it’s really nice to have this recognition.”
For the time being, Gemma said she was happy working at Saks, which was also nominated in the Training and Development category at the awards.
“I just want to finish my course and then implement that in the salon,” she said.
“And then I want to go on and teach young hairdressers, and become the top colourist in WGC!”
Saks WGC is located on the second floor of The Howard Centre. Call 01707 377 252 for more information.